With Christmas battery-operated gifts arriving, there will be electrical/electronic devices using Lithium Ion batteries. Careless handling or use of these batteries can lead to dangerous fires. The Calgary Fire Department advised on dealing with this hazard including cell phones, e-bikes, laptops, e-scooters etc.
Use only the batteries designed for and recommended for the device.
Charge the device with the approved charger that comes with the device.
Do not charge the device under a pillow, on a bed, or couch.
Only charge the device on a hard surface.
Avoid exposing batteries or devices to heat.
Be aware of problems such as odour, smoke, change in colour, excessive heat, leaking, toxic fumes, and odd noises. Move the device or battery away from anything that can catch fire.